Happy Holidays

I decided to write this blog simply because of two pictures I drew.

Its weird that a person who is not Christian drew a Christmas picture. Some might say it's just a holiday picture, or whatever I want it to be. At first I felt like drawing my siblings in age order. There are four of us and I'm the oldest. There are 2 1/2 years between me and my next sister who lives across the country. Then there are 6 years between my brother and me, and 8 years between my baby sister and me. I drew the picture on Christmas day right before we went to celebrate Christmas with my sister, brother and niece (for them possibly, for my niece. Plus celebrations, even if they aren't mine, can be fun). I drew the picture of my siblings very quick, as if we needed to be together.
I had these feelings of nostalgia of when I used to set up our artificial tree as a child, I could smell the cinnamon rolls my mom was making in the kitchen, my dad being silly with an orange that was in one of the stockings. There were four children in pajamas saying over and over, "When can we open the presents? I want to open the presents!" and other children fighting playfully over getting their turn to stand the heat register. Later I may tell the interesting story of my family and religion. After we were Hare Krishas in Denver we moved to the Midwest, where both of my parents were from, and eventually became Presbyterian- hence the Christmas celebrations. I gradually moved away from the religion for various reasons. So even though I don't have the belief, I like some of the traditions like the trees, stocking, presents, ornaments, and such, and around December 23 I start to crave a couple Christmas carols.

I guess its not that weird because even though I was young when my parents were in the Hare Krisha Temple, I still crave the vegetarian Indian food they served. I'm a mixture of cultures, and that food feels most like it belongs to me even though I'm not Indian at all. And I love the smell of incense, and love the smell of carnations mixed with sandalwood, if you can ever find it. It reminds me of being in the temple, dancing around, having friendly women put flower garlands upon my neck. So I just want to say there are so many people I know who mix religious traditions, or like certain traditions of religions they are not part of. I think diversity and mixing things up is great, and I think nostalgia is okay, even though it took me some time to become comfortable with that.

Since I drew my siblings together in a Christmas or Holiday scene I decided we belong together again for a new years picture.

Happy New Year!!!

Comments